When you get the 4 o’clock slump, moderation is at an all-time low and chocolate bars are winking at you, reach for one of these carb-free, sugar-free, gluten-free fruit & seed bars instead. They are high in protein, vitamin rich, low GI, ridiculously easy to make (no baking), yet despite their virtuousness, they are irresistibly delicious.
500g mixed seeds (I use pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
40g ground almonds (optional)
3 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
3 tsp vanilla bean paste (use vanilla extract if not available)
200g medjool dates
200g dried figs
Pinch of salt
20x25cm baking tray, greased
Makes about 30, depending on size
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Spread out the mixed seeds on a large baking tray (not the pre-greased one) and place in centre of oven to toast for 5 minutes until they are beginning to turn golden. To achieve the same result without an oven, toast them in frying pan over a medium heat and stir continuously for about 5 minutes.
- Blend together figs, dates, vanilla bean paste and salt until they turn to a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl mix together toasted mixed seeds, ground almonds, chia seeds and the fig-date paste until thoroughly combined.
- Press the mixture into the pre-greased baking tray and slice into bars of desired size.
- Wrap the tray with clingfilm and place in freezer for at least an hour, or leave overnight in fridge to set. The bars will last for several weeks.